Congratulations, you're engaged!
Now what do you do? Planning a wedding is both exciting and stressful. Couples getting married in the Catholic Church know that their wedding day is much more than getting the right flowers or venue, but those practical details can get in the way of a focus on the couple’s faith and trust in God’s love in the sacrament. If you’ve had your wedding planned since the fourth grade – or if you’re at a loss for where to start – this information will help answer questions you have about Catholic weddings, and give you practical ways to keep God, your faith, and love at the center of the big day and for the rest of your married life’.
The Catholic Church has a long history of helping couples to prepare for marriage. It has learned a great deal that can benefit any couple, regardless of religion. Because the Catholic Church wants couples to form strong, lasting marriages, couples who wish to marry in the Catholic Church are asked to:
- Contact and meet with your parish priest/deacon as soon as you are engaged.
- Take at least six months to intensively prepare for your marriage. This goes beyond choosing a date and church, reserving a place for the reception, and picking out dresses. It means using this time to delve more deeply into your relationship and approach this momentous day with prayer and reflection.
- Attend an approved marriage preparation program. The Diocese of Parramatta offers two marriage preparation programs for couples. Both preparations are designed to strengthen and enrich your relationship and work on building a rewarding life together.
1. Weekend Course
2. SmartLoving Engaged Online with nine online sessions with the option of a sponsor couple
To book a marriage preparation program please visit this page.
- More specific questions? Contact us.
Pre-Marriage Preparation Courses
The Diocese of Parramatta offers two marriage preparation programs for couples:
- Weekend Course
- SmartLoving Engaged Online with the option of a sponsor couple
Both preparations are designed to strengthen and enrich your relationship and work on building a rewarding life together.
Both preparations offer couples activities designed to explore your relationship together to:
- Build skills
- Use the difficult times to grow
- Conducted in a group setting.
Fridays 7pm – 10pm
Sundays 9am – 4:30pm
This course offers sessions on:
- Catholic Marriage
- Family of Origin
- Sound Marital House
- Managing Conflict
- Couple Intimacy
- Natural Family Planning
SmartLoving Engaged Online
- Nine multimedia sessions online of approximately 1.5hr sessions. Features of the course include:
- Work at your own pace and in your own home
- Complete the course in nine weeks, minimum of four weeks required
- Option of being accompanied by a sponsor couple from your parish (Please discuss this option with your Priest or Deacon)
- Topics include:
Mission to Love Building Unity
Dialogue Sex a Sacred Embrace
Love Gives Life Soul Mates for Life and more